Snow on my ears
It's really fun to be a Minnesotan this week. We are finally getting some much-anticipated snow accumulation. We got a good 10-12 inches last weekend, and another storm is just hitting us now, which is expected to produce a similar amount of snow. Yeah! Two feet of white stuff! Although we're not looking forward to driving to work tomorrow, I just love the way it transforms the neighborhood into a magical-looking place. Snow just makes the winter season more tolerable.
Today I am also feeling thankful for my ears and the ability to hear. I spend much of my time thinking about hearing loss and the assistive technology that can make sound more audible, but seldomly do I ever consider that I might have a significant hearing loss myself. Actually, I do have a very mild hearing loss, but it's really not an issue for me now. I am pretty sure that I have a family history of a condition called otosclerosis, and I think it's very probable that I might suffer from it at some point after (God willing) having children. I used to think that otosclerosis wasn't so serious, but apparently, according to the neurotologist who spoke in my Cochlear Implants class this afternoon, it can result in significant hearing loss or deafness. So... that bites. I probably get myself all worked up about this stuff because I study it. But, in any event, most people lose some degree of hearing throughout their lifetimes because of old age. That's why I'm thankful for my normal hearing today. I'm thankful to be able to hear my husband's voice and the band play and the snowblower motor hum. Ears are such a wonderful part of our anatomy! (Yes, I know I'm a nerd.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home