Easter


To all of my blog readers (whoever you may be!), I wish you a very happy Easter. This weekend is a special time for me to reflect on the great sacrifice Christ made on our behalf and the amazing redemption of his resurrection. It is often difficult to meditate on the true meaning of Lent and Holy Week because: (1) life is busy, and (2) Easter doesn't receive nearly the attention nor anticipation that Christmas does. There is no Easter shopping season. Nevertheless, Easter is a special weekend for me every year, and whether or not you celebrate Easter, I hope you are having a nice weekend, too.
I am not Catholic (I am Protestant), but I recognize Lent by giving up chocolate every year. And I don't let myself cheat on Sundays. Those who know me well know that this is a great challenge for me. As some would say, "My name is Kate, and I am a chocoholic." I do this because whenever I think about chocolate, I am reminded of Lent and what Jesus went through. It is also a good exercise in self-control for me. However, I don't think that I am more holy for observing Lent in this way; it's just something I feel compelled to do every year. This year, I really doubted whether I would be able to fast from chocolate for 45 days. I was feeling pretty dependent on a little chocolate everyday to satisfy my cravings. I thought the past six weeks would be torturous. But amazingly, I gave it up completely on Feb 21, and it was probably easier than any previous Lent. I would think about chocolate, but I can't say that I ever craved it. That was fantastic. I felt some control over my maniacal chocolate-obsessive vice. At a wedding last weekend, I even ate the white cake around the chocolate mousse filling. Through all of this I learned that I don't have to eat chocolate -- I am really OK without it!
Tonight I am breaking my fast with chocolate fondue. (Then I plan on going to the gym... I think.) I can't wait!! It will be incredible. We bought Ghirardelli chocolate and pound cake and pretzel sticks and strawberries. Should be an amazing dessert. :)
I am thankful for chocolate, and for Jesus' willingness to support and guide me through life. I really didn't think I could be happy without chocolate, yet I am reminded that "God ... is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20). My small victory over chocolate is just one example of his awesome power. Ultimately, God showed how much he loves us by sending his son to die for us, so that we might enjoy eternal life with him. Alleluia!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home