Sunday, August 16, 2009

Kodai: Great conversations and worship

"Katie, from that window right there, I once fed a chicken to a python."

Dad has been pointing out many such memorable spots to me as we walk around Kodai. I have to confess that so much has been happening and our internet access is sparse. This makes it quite difficult to give a full account of our travels -- in my head, much less on this blog!

To follow up on the Menons, we had a lovely tea with them yesterday at Central House. We also had tea with Mr. Jayachandran, who leads a center for children with disabilities. It was great to talk with Jayachandran along with Todd and Ingrid Heidelberger. We also met his daughters and little granddaughter. Bethania has partnered with this family and the rehab center for a long time. Unfortunately, Jayachandran's wife Rajashree lost her very sudden battle with cancer in May. Although I'm sure the family is still grieving Rajashree's loss, I could sense a peace and warmth present in their home.

This morning we attended the KIS church, which we both enjoyed very much. The music was a blend of traditional hymns (including, again, "Beautiful Savior") and contemporary praise and worship. It's so amazing to sing familiar Christian songs in India; it makes me feel so close to these Indian brothers and sisters in Christ. This morning we sang "Shout to the Lord," which course, caused me to tear up again. We also reflected on some great scripture passages, including 1 John 4.

After church we went to a celebration for the baptism of Paramadas's daughter, Princy. Paramadas has been a Bethania partner, also serving children with disabilities, for a long time. Although I don't know him well, I have always heard about the depth of his faith. It's quite apparent that he is a kind, sincere, faithful Christian man. I am hoping to have tea with him tomorrow so that I can get to know him better.

I'm hoping to be able to post again, but I'm not sure that our itinerary will allow me the opportunity. We leave Kodai on Wednesday and I'll be home on Saturday, after making a couple tourist stops along the way. Thanks to all who are reading this -- I will do my best to keep the rest of the trip documented!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home