One last Western shower to go
I've had my last burger and last night's sleep in my own bed. I'm even a little sleep deprived already on account of all of the necessary preparations to get out the door. After so many months of planning and many more months (years, actually) of wishing to return to India, it really seems surreal that today is the day that Dad and I will get on a plane to... literally the other side of the world. I'm feeling equal parts giddy excitement and nervous jitters.
Why am I doing this? I have a few goals. First, I am going to India to see these beautiful Bethania children -- to laugh, play, pray, sing, dance with them, and to be inspired by them. I'm excited to see what they teach me. I am also going to establish face-to-face relationships with many Bethania staff and volunteers that I have had emailed for the past three years. It is my hope that the Sponsor-a-Child program will be strengthened as a result of my visit.
Second, I am hoping to rediscover the magic and beauty of India now as a twenty-something gal, instead of the culture-shocked 14-year-old who visited the last time. When my family lived there for six months, I knew that I was fortunate to be having such a unique, incredible overseas experience, but I'd be lying if I didn't also say that it was very difficult for me for a variety of reasons. When we returned home, I didn't think that I'd go back again. I guess enough time has passed because here I go again...
Third, I simply must see the Taj Mahal with my own eyes.
But ultimately, my motivation comes from the following scripture:
"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God as something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death -- even death on a cross!" -- Philippians 2:5-8 (NIV)
Oh, that I might be even a little like Jesus' example. Thanks in advance for your prayers as we travel. Special thanks to Luke, Jessica, and Mares for your phone calls last night -- I'm sorry I was too wrapped up in errands to return them. Will post as soon as we can! Love to all!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home